Personal Contract Hire
Personal Contract Hire – Suitability explanation
Personal Contract Hire (PCH) is a fixed term and mileage-based agreement for the hire of a car for a period usually between 2 and 5 years. It is important that your agreement reflects your predicted annual mileage. The vehicle will not belong to you at any point in the agreement and so you cannot sell the vehicle. With a PCH agreement you pay an initial rental followed by an agreed number of fixed monthly rentals inclusive of VAT at the prevailing rate for the specific period of hire you have chosen. At the end of the agreement the vehicle must be returned to the contract hire company.
Personal Contract Hire may not be suitable for you in certain circumstances. For example:
- If you wish to own or buy the vehicle.
- If you might need to change your vehicle early as early termination will incur charges.
- If you would like to shorten your period of hire by pre-paying.
- If you are unable to predict your mileage.
- If you plan to export the vehicle or use abroad for extended periods.
Benefits of Personal Contract Hire:
- Low initial outlay and fixed monthly rentals.
- Choice of period of hire from 2 to 5 years and choice of mileage (minimum and maximum apply).
- Whilst the contract is based on a fixed mileage, you may be able to reschedule your agreement if your predicted mileage changes.
- For peace of mind motoring optional maintenance plans are available, for an additional fixed monthly fee.
- Road Fund Licence is included for the duration of the agreement, though charges may apply reflecting future increases.
- The vehicle is simply returned at the end of agreement, removing concerns about disposal values and depreciation.
Taking care of the vehicle and your responsibilities:
- You must ensure that the vehicle is always comprehensively insured.
- You must pay any additional charges that you incur for example a parking fine or congestion charge on time. If you don’t, the cost and/or fine will be issued to the finance company who will invoice this to you together with an administration charge that they will levy.
- You must have the vehicle serviced and maintained by a main franchised dealer in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations and keep it roadworthy. If you do not service and maintain the vehicle, the funder will make a charge when the vehicle is returned as this will affect its value. You may add a cost-effective maintenance package which will cover routine servicing, maintenance costs and tyres, subject to fair wear and tear plus breakdown assistance to enable easy budgeting and give you fixed cost motoring. If you include a maintenance package please note the funder may decline to settle any charges if the total mileage on the agreement is exceeded.
- At the end of the agreement the finance company will assess the vehicle condition based on the standards set down in the British Vehicle Rental and Leasing Association’s fair wear and tear guide. Refurbishment charges may apply if the condition is not satisfactory.
- If you exceed the total contract mileage you will be charged at the pence per mile as detailed in your agreement for the over mileage.
- When the vehicle is returned, it must have all items that were present when it was delivered for example, all keys, the locking wheelnuts. If any items are missing, you will be charged for the replacement.
Failure to make payments in full and on time may result in the contract being terminated and the vehicle repossessed. Only enter into an agreement if you are comfortable with the financial commitment and terms.